Monday, March 9, 2009

All the things I wanted to write about but didn't have time!

Quite often my friends will mention that I don't update my blog enough. It's not because I don't have any thoughts or things to share, I just don't have the time. So tonight I decided to stay later at work just so that I can update my blog.
---

February was a full month for us. It started with planning and having a baby shower for some friends who are adopting a little boy. Baby showers are always fun, but being able to share this time with Mike & Karen was special - especially after the years they've spent waiting in the adoption process.

Anna & Karen with the fun jungle cake.
Opening gifts - Hey, I think some of those little girls helped me open my bridal shower gifts. :)
The day after the shower was Valentine's day. Brian and I agreed that we wanted to do something we'd never done together, so we decided to go to Real Chili for dinner and then to Comedy Sportz for a show. You'd think we'd be the only couples at a hole-in-the-wall place like Real Chili, but surprisingly enough we were one of four couples! It's definitely worth the experience, but I have to say that I prefer my own chili to theirs.

Brian's chili
Us enjoying our chili
Comedy Sportz was an interesting and fun experience as well. We were some of the first to arrive, and just as we got out of the car a rather annoying guy in a tutu ran up to greet us. I had forgotten to warn Brian that they have "Ballet Parking" rather than Vallet Parking, so his first impression was a little skewed. But the show itself was funny and we enjoyed a night of laughter.


Having fun at Comedy Sportz
Throughout the rest of the month, we had the pleasure of having dinner with numerous friends and families (Seiler's, Hubred's, Schwartz's, Struebing's, Root's, and I think there were more.) We really enjoyed getting to spend time with everyone.

Beyond all of the "things" that we did and experienced in February, Brian and I made some major decisions - both of which we had been praying about and discussing for a few months. The first decision was regarding my job, and the second was regarding Brian's job.

In early February, I met with Pastor Chip & Pastor Tom and resigned from my position as Children's Director at Spring Creek church. This was probably one of the hardest decisions I've ever made, and as I look back at the decision making process I am extremely thankful to God for providing a husband with whom I could talk and pray with prior to making the decision. We prayed about the situation seperately and then together and felt led of God to move on to a new part of life - one in which I won't be working fulltime and can focus on our home and hopefully in the future a family.

It is a decision that has brought peace, excitement and a bit of sadness. We are excited about the future and excited to see what God will do and how he'll use us. On the flip side, there is and has been a sadness that comes when I think about the parts of my job that I will miss - especially the closeness with so many of the kids at Spring Creek. I will miss the hundreds of hugs, high fives and smiling faces that greet me each Sunday and Wednesday. I will miss seeing and hearing the many stories about how God is working in the lives of the children and families at church. But the reality that I cling to is that God is going to show me the next step, the next experience, and the next blessing that he has already put in place for Brian and me. It is never easy making a change, but when we're willing to embrace the next step in God's plan for our lives, there is a peace that fills you and it's an incredible thing to experience!

The second decision was one that was prompted by Brian's job. He started in December as a sales rep for Today's Health. At the time we were just thankful for a job. Over the last few months Brian has really begun to enjoy his job and the help that he offers to senior citizens. The only downfall has been that each day requires a 50 mile commute to and from work - not including the many miles spent traveling to and from appointments. So after much prayer and consideration, we decided to put our condo up for sale. We are at peace with the decision and know that God can provide even in a tough market. Our goal is to sell the condo by this summer and to move to Menomonee Falls. The new location would significantly reduce Brian's commute.

So as March begins, we are enjoying more time & dinners with friends, loving the eleventh month of our marriage, and looking forward to a couple of small vacations in April.

No comments: